The University of Thessaly owns buildings in Volos, Larissa, Karditsa, Trikala and Lamia.
The University of Thessaly buildings and facilities in Volos are mainly concentrated in three different locations in the city: the seafront, Pedion tou Areos (Areos Park), and Fytoko in Nea Ionia. Other University facilities can be found at various points of the city center.
The University’s Seafront Complex includes the renovated building of the Papastratos Tobacco Warehouse and the new Delmouzos Building and Building 3. The Papastratos Tobacco Warehouse building at the eastern edge of the port of Volos is an iconic building which constitutes a point of reference for the university as well as the city itself. It was built in 1935 (there was another warehouse adjacent to the building, built in 1926 and later demolished – it stood at the exact same location as today’s “Alexandros Delmouzos” building). In the tobacco warehouse building they used to store and mechanically process tobacco plants, including softening the bales, processing them into tobacco leaves, cleaning and sorting, blending, sifting, making bunches and pushing it to the market. Up to 400 people were employed in the two buildings.
In 1985, it was bought by the University of Thessaly, it was renovated and today it houses the offices of the Rectorate and Administrative Services. The other two buildings house the Network Center, the Publishing Office and the Departments of the School of Humanities.
Pedion tou Areos
The Pedion tou Areos facilities house Departments of the School of Engineering. The Pedion tou Areos park is located at the entrance of the city from the Athens-Thessaloniki National Road and it is easily accessible by car, coach or train. The bus station (KTEL) and the train station (OSE) are within walking distance from the Department, a 5- and 10-minute walk respectively.
The Pedion tou Areos Complex initially comprises the buildings of the former Papariga factory which have been renovated and the new building of the Department of Spatial Planning and Regional Development.
This building, following the relocation of the Department of Agricultural Sciences, also houses the Department of Architecture. The Department of Mechanical Engineering is currently housed in the former machine shop of the Papariga factory, built in 1938 and renovated by the University in 1990. The restored building of the Papariga factory (foundry and raw materials warehouse) currently houses the Department of Civil Engineering.
The building of the Department of Planning and Regional Development is the first new construction at the Pedion tou Areos. It was built as part of the development of the University of Thessaly to house new departments and became operational during the academic year 1999-2000.
The University of Thessaly bought in 2001 a plot of land at the intersection of Athinon road and Sekeri street, on which new constructions was erected, on a total surface of 3883.96 m2, to meet the housing needs of the Department of Electrical and Computer Engineering.
The enormous old tobacco warehouses of the Matsangos Brothers factory currently house the School of Agricultural Sciences (in Fytoko, Nea Ionia). It is an exploitation of building potential whose size highlights the magnitude of this particular tobacco industry in Greece.
This is an industrial building of the late 1800s, with high ceilings and arched openings, but also with many extensions and reconstructions. In 1940 it was the largest tobacco factory in Greece with a staff of 2,000. Part of the former Matsangos tobacco industry complex with a total surface of 3,975.78 m2 has been restored and currently houses the Department of Economics.
Apart from the Matsangos building (new department building), the Department of Economics of the University of Thessaly also makes use of the “Old French Institute” building.
The new building has seven lecture halls, six of which are small, with a 60-70 person capacity and one is larger, with 132 seats. It also has six labs, 25 offices of staff and two secretarial offices.
Former French Institute
The building of the former French Institute in the center of Volos, with a total surface of 1,188.00 m2 houses the amphitheater of the Department of Economics. Various activities of the University of Thessaly, such as the Innovation and Entrepreneurship Unit, are also housed in this building.
Preserved Tsikriki Building
This preserved 3-storey building, virtually across the street from the main university building of the former Papastratos Tobacco Warehouse, was acquired by the University of Thessaly in 1985. It was built in 1929 as the residence of Galavanis, an industrialist, while in 1955 the deeds were transferred to the ophthalmologist Tsikrikis who established an ophthalmology clinic and surgery on the first floor and his family residence on the second. The ground floor housed the French Consulate for a long period of time. In 1982 the building was designated a work of art by the Ministry of Culture, worthy of special state protection.
It is indeed a notable sample of the eclecticist architecture of the mid-war period with exceptional architectural and morphological characteristics. It is the work of the renowned Athenian architect Anastasios Metaxas (1863-1937) who is considered the main representative of the late classical period in Greece.
University services are housed in this building, while the “Iatreio” Room of the first floor is used as a venue for various public events of the institute.
Central Library of the University
The Central Library of the University is located in the city of Volos and, since May 2005, it has been operating in the fully restored building of the former Bank of Athens, in the center of the city, at the intersection of Metamorfoseos and Dimitriados streets. The building has also been used in the past as commercial storage space and as the Intercity Bus Station (KTEL) of Volos.
The Central Library building in Volos was inaugurated on 9/4/2005 by the then President of the Republic, the late Mr Karolos Papoulias and became fully operational on Tuesday 19/4/2005.
The Library was established and began operations in September 1988, during the first academic year of the University of Thessaly’s operation. Its evolution has traced the developmental steps of the University. However, essential for its systemic organization and service upgrades were the development works it has been taking on since the mid-90s.
Kitsos Makris Folk Art Center
The “Kitsos Makris Folk Art Center” came to the University of Thessaly’s possession by donation of the folklorist’s family (Kitsos Makris – 1917-1988) after his death and according to his wishes. Since 1997 it has operated as a branch of the Library and Information Center of the University of Thessaly, primarily aiming to offer organized access to the folklorist’s collection.
The Kitsos Makris Folk Art Center was built in 1955, designed by architect Argyris Filippidis. It is a two-story building with a total surface of 180 m2, preserving elements of the traditional Pelion architecture. In all spaces of the house, the mark of Kitsos Makris is evident in murals, mosaics and ceiling murals, topped by the great living room frieze, which takes the visitor to the Pelion villages as seen from the Pagasitikos Gulf. The ground floor houses the folk art collection, the folklorist’s study and the living room area, whereas the bedrooms and sanitary spaces are on the first floor.
The study, small but filled with books, photographs and souvenirs, was the folklorist’s favored space for work and creation, which is why it was decided that the style and character given to it by Kitsos Makris himself be preserved.
The living room area has the form of a traditional Pelion doxato with a wooden arch and a superb 18th century ceiling removed from the Banti House in Drakia before its demolition. The living room frieze depicts Volos and Pelion, painted by the folklorist. This is also where one can find the showcase which displays the life and work of Kitsos Makris and includes personal objects, images from his life, his written works and honorary distinctions.
Student Hall of Residence and Restaurant
At the intersection of 2nd November and Vernardaki streets stands the building that houses the student hall of residence and restaurant of the University of Thessaly, with a total surface of 2,080.00 m2. It is an installation which formerly belonged to the “Leto” clinic.
The contemporary history of the “Yellow Warehouse” at the intersection of Vassani and Gazi streets betrays the old and labyrinthine history of the building. The Yellow Warehouse was used as a place of imprisonment, torture and execution of hundreds of freedom fighters form March 1944 to the liberation.
The Yellow Warehouse is coming back to life as restoration work is imminent in order for it to house the University Research Center “IASON”.
An important parameter of the work is the conversion of part of the ground floor and the basement to a commemoration gallery of this historic landmark of the city.
Technical Infrastructure Directorate – Kavoura Residence
The University’s Technical Infrastructure Directorate is located inside the restored former Kavoura Residence at the intersection of Taki Oikonomaki and Gamveta streets in the center of the city. This building used to be the permanent residence of the Kavoura family.
Conference and Cultural Center – Old Paou Monastery
The old monastery of St Nicholas, fully restored by the University of Thessaly following its acquisition granted by the Municipality of Argalasti, operates as a conference and cultural center. The complex comprises the yard, 8 double rooms and 1 four-bed room (+restaurant hall and waiting area), a conference room with a 25-person capacity, a meeting room with a 20-person capacity, and a small gallery. It is surrounded by a 600-acre property while there is also a small 18th century temple inside with exceptional murals.
The complex welcomes visitors and it is fully equipped and operational all year round. It hosts summer schools and small workshops as well as the Paou Musical Festival. It can be used by both members of the UTH academic community and organizations and groups outside the University, local as well as international, for the organization of seminars, workshops, and general scientific, educational and cultural activities. Its natural beauty, the available infrastructure and its location make it a hospitable shelter and an ideal space providing excellent working conditions.
OTHER FACILITIES IN VOLOS:
Research Committee Facilities
The Rooftile and Brickworks Museum N. &S. Tsalapatas was one of the largest of its kind. The laboratories and industrial spaces have been restored and make for a rare example of reuse of an industrial complex in Greece. The Rooftile and Brickworks Factory was founded in 1926 by the Tsalapata brothers. Its total surface amounts to 22,000 m2. Various types of rooftiles and bricks were produced in this factory. At its peak, it employed 250 workers. The N.& S. Tsalapata Rooftile and Brickworks Factory ceased its operations in 1978. It is not a property of the University; however, several units are housed in its premises, specifically the Innovation and Research Committee (ELKE) as well as the Lifelong Learning Center of the University of Thessaly.
The Deligiorgi Building, with a total surface of 1,800.00 m2 is found in the center of Volos and houses the Department of Electrical and Computer Engineering.
UTH Farm in Velestino
The University of Thessaly Farm is used for student training as well as research conducted by Faculty Members of the Department of Agriculture, Crop Production and Rural Environment, at the School of Agricultural Sciences of the University of Thessaly.
The farm is located near the Athens-Thessaloniki National Road, in the area of Velestino, Magnesia (39o2’ Northern Latitude, 22o45’ Eastern Longitude) at an altitude of 70m from the surface of the sea. It covers an area of 150 acres and covers the research and educational needs of the members of the Department.
Part of the farm area is covered by buildings. These include greenhouses, student accommodation building complexes, laboratories and space for storage and maintenance of farming machinery.
Older buildings are also included, which cover the accommodation needs of the staff during their daily work. The greenhouses cover an area of approximately 2.5 acres.
The rest of the farm is covered by orchards and other crops. The orchards cover an area of approximately 10 acres. This area is mainly covered by apple, pear, peach and olive trees while there are also a great number of conifers. The remaining area is covered by large crop plants, vegetables and decorative plants.
The farm equipment includes two state-of-the-art weather stations as well as agricultural tractors with all the accompanying tillage tools. The equipment also includes a small combine harvester for experimental plots.
The research accomplished on the University of Thessaly farm is multidimensional.
The facilities in Larissa are located in the center of the city and on the outskirts. The downtown facilities include buildings of the Departments of Medicine and Biochemistry – Biotechnology. The University Hospital is on the outskirts of the city.
Biopolis Complex (complex in Mezourlo)
Total plot area 90,000 m2 and total area covered by buildings 25,254.38 m2 (Medicine and Biochemistry).
Former Katsigra Clinic Building (town center)
The Department of Medicine facilities, including pre-clinical course labs, lecture halls, amphitheater, and administrative services, are in the new building of the department at the Biopolis complex, covering an area of 25,254.38 m2, adjacent to the General University Hospital of Larissa and in the building of the renovated former Katsigra Clinic, with a surface of 2,960 m2, in the Tachydromeio square.
The Regional University Hospital of Larissa possesses 700 beds and has been in operation since 1998 in modern privately owned buildings on the outskirts of the city. The clinical practice of students is held at the hospital.
The Gaeopolis complex covers an area of approximately 1,200 acres and has buildings of a total surface of approximately 62,000.00 m2 lying at 4 kilometers west of the city center, next to the Old National Road connecting Thessaly to Trikala.
The Rector’s office branch for the city of Larissa is located at the Gaeopolis complex, as well as the departments of the School of Technology and the departments of the Schools of Agricultural Sciences and Economics and Business Administration located in Larissa. The
Gaeopolis complex also possesses a large ceremony hall and a modern Library.
This versatile building complex also houses a modern organized convention center and a student restaurant. The restaurant has the capacity to feed approximately 3,500 students on a daily basis.
It also has a student accommodation building complex with 8 independent buildings and sports facilities including a fully equipped 900-square-meter indoor gym with 400-seat benches, 39 muscular strengthening instruments in the 400-square-meter basement, men and women’s changing rooms, two office halls, infirmary, referee changing rooms, a 100-square-meter dance hall, a 55-square-meter martial arts hall and open-air courts (football pitch, 2 basketball courts, 2 volleyball courts, 2 tennis courts).
The Gaeopolis complex possesses a farm which serves the needs of laboratories and has plantations and facilities with farm animals (cattle – sheep – swine – poultry).
Department of Veterinary Medicine Complex
The Department of Veterinary Medicine lies at the end of Trikala Road. It consists of the main building of the Department, the library building also including amphitheaters, and buildings for Clinics and Labs.
Former TEI of Thessaly Facilities
Building facilities of approximately 11,800.00 m2 found in a plot of approximately 47,000.00 m2 (near the Department of Veterinary Medicine buildings). These house the departments of Forestry, Wood Science and Design, Public and Integrated Health, and Dietetics and Nutrition.
Facilities in Nevropoli, Karditsa
Prefabricated wooden huts, with total surface of 100 m2, covering the needs of the Department of Physical Education and Sport Science in a plot with total surface of 10,058.39 m2 in the Municipality of Nevropolis (Neochori – Fteri).
Facilities in Karyes
The Department of Physical education and Sport Science was initially housed in the Matsopoulos Park and in July 1999 it was transferred to Karyes. The facilities in Karyes are about 4 kilometers from the city center. To reach Karyes, follow Karditsis Road (exit to Karditsa) and turn right at the intersection towards Megala Kalyvia. The total surface of the facilities in Karyes is 6,087.72 m2 and they include: lecture halls, laboratories and an amphitheater in a plot of approximately 150,000.00 m2.
Former TEI of Thessaly Facilities
The facilities of the former TEI of Thessaly in Trikala are situated in the Bara area, at a distance of approximately 700 m. north of the town center, west of the national road connecting Trikala with Kalambaka and Ioannina. These include a recently restored three-story building complex with total surface of 4,400 m2, standing in the middle of a spacious yard. In the building, there are lecture halls, labs, offices and auxiliary spaces. The Central Library branch for the city of Trikala is also housed there, as well as the Department of Nutrition and Dietetics.
The Departments of the School of Science are housed in the former Lamia Academy building which is located in the Galanéika area, at 2-4 Papasiopoulou Street. The building also houses the department secretariats, the faculty offices, lecture halls and laboratories.
Educational purposes are served by newly constructed, modern, functional spaces. These are four comfortable classrooms, equipped with state-of-the-art teaching aids, which can cover the daily teaching needs and host scientific gatherings.
The building currently possesses adequately equipped teaching labs with a computer network, providing advanced telematics services and supporting the students’ educational activities in the most contemporary way.
There are also 5 offices for faculty members in the building, serving the needs of teaching staff.
Facilities of Former TEI of Central Greece
The facilities are situated at the 3rd km of the old National Road connecting Lamia with Athens, in an area of 64,697.20 m2. There are six independent buildings with total surface of 14,079.00 m2. These include lecture hall buildings and laboratories, administrative building, library and office buildings. There is also an Olympic sized pool in the field.
Adjacent to the above lies a farming plot of 26,614.00 m2.